I’m keeping him home this year!


There, I said it out loud and proud! I will be homeschooling or virtual learning with my son this year. By choice, for him, for health reasons both physically and mentally...his, mine, for our family. 


This decision didn’t come easy for me. There was and still is a lot of uncertainty and questions. What I can say is that the panic I felt when posed with sending my 8 year old out of the house, armed with a mask alone during an extremely uncertain pandemic was overwhelming. 


I value what our public schools do and how the experience is coupled with curriculum to create great memories, interactions and knowledge. But returning to in person learning would likely be under new limitations that restrict or prohibit the very social aspect that created value before. That coupled with the added fear and distractions of precautions in place would likely pile much more stress than necessary to enter the 3rd grade.  


Also, I’m high risk for contacting COVID 19. I’m healthy and fine, but due to medication taken for chronic illnesses I’m severely immunosuppressed and that added risk is realistically not worth it to our family. 


We are extremely safe in our home. We get groceries delivered, wipe items coming into the house. Wash hands and use hand sanitizer often. We are socially distant as a lifestyle and therefore I see no reason to stop now. 


So! I’ve done my share of google searches, homeschool Facebook group chats, web demos and freaking out. And what I’m finding is I can do this! I’m a great mom, a creative mom, and a Brave mom above all else! 


I hope more parents will do what’s right for their family. I hope that more moms will feel empowered and not embarrassed to keep their kids and family safe. Above all I hope that this virus will be conquered soon and a normal existence won’t continue to be a battle among our lives, that worries of yesterday can return and banish the fears of today. For right now I’m taking charge, stepping up and being brave. I will keep my son home, I will wait for our schools and this world to come back to us, and I will make it so fun and amazing that my kids will remember this time with smiles and not fear. 

Comments

Popular Posts