Don’t Panic! Navigating Pandemic Grocery Shopping with online orders and delivery

“It’s a new challenge” is what I tell myself.... about getting groceries in a pandemic. Even typing that seems like an implausible lifetime movie script, but lately it’s our ‘new normal’.

Honestly, I’m ok with staying home, cooking more meals, playing crazy games with the kids. It’s that pop back into reality of getting food into my house that has caused me unnecessary computer related frustration! 

My first few attempts were extremely stressful, not sure if items were in stock or how many attempts I’d make to get things. I was actually a little off-put by the shopper apps that allowed a person to shop my order in a store and drive it to me. But... I’m getting better at it. Like everything else lately it takes practice and a willingness to find your groove /aka what works for you and your family. So here are my insights I hope they help! 


I’m set on ordering online grocery delivery for a number of reasons. Primarily safety, time, navigation of availability and above all staying home! 

I’ve got a few options that deliver to my area - more exist and I am open to ideas. 
Here are what I have done so far: 

Instacart serves a number of stores. It’s basically hiring a person to do your shopping list. www.instacart.com or download the app 
Positives
  • The  stores available include: 
Jewel
ALDI 
Target
Costco
Binnys ! 🍷🍷
Mariano’s 

  • I’m generally able to get most of my usual items if I order from a few places 

  • The shopper real time messages you via the app on product availability and you may have the option to select a replacement item. ie different brand. ... It’s kind of like sending your husband to the store, keep your phone on you they will have questions! 

  • The delivery availability is much faster than competitors and more windows open if you need items asap. 

Negative 
  • The site and app can be initially challenging to navigate at first. It took me several tries to finally get more comfortable with it. I’ve lost my order, changed passwords, caught double items even. **So caution - review your order prior to closing the app/site.   I did prefer using my laptop and going on the web over using the app to make larger orders, but the app is great for smaller ones. 

  • You get the luck of the draw on who does your shopping. I have had some shoppers who are great and you can tell they try to get your order for you, uncrushed, on time and others get the stuff they can and get out! 

  • There is a delivery fee for orders under $35 - but seriously who is that?! 

Shipt is another option 
Very similar to Instacart but some different stores. You can shop via their website or app. www.shipt.com

*I’ve  found that you may also use them directly through the stores sites as a delivery option without.  Ie go to the Target or Meijer web site directly. These stores use Shipt as their most expedient deliver option service and you won’t pay a subscription fee! 
I prefer using delivery option on Meijer website/app. 

Positive  
  • Store options include 
Meijer *
Target
CVS
Petco
Office Depot

*Meijer(with is great because after following media coverage you can definitely see that Meijer is among the top outlets taking precautions at this time) 
  • Shoppers will text message you while shopping to regulate order substitutes. I was also able to add a few items I forgot to shop for online. 

  • I have found the shoppers I have used so far are genuinely trying. Perhaps it’s the more open communication method or just the store I’m selecting but I’ve had some great people really work hard to find the last package of napkins, my sons favorite frozen meal, and such... . I had an experience where my shopper text messaged me and we chose alternative products. I was also able to add items I forgot to put in my digital cart. Etc..
Negative 
  • Delivery availability is longer. They are booked up so plan ahead a few days, edit your order and hope the items are still there when it is shopped. 

  • Generally I’ve encountered that while trying to order directly through the Shopt site/app a subscription fee is necessary to continue (I have not gone through w it yet) HOWEVER if you order delivery with the store directly you do not pay a subscription fee and the Shipt shoppers have been great! I recommend this work around use Shipt via store sites or shopping apps! 
Meijer.com 
target.com 
cvs.com 
Officedepot.com 

Berkots 
Our local favorite has always offered delivery but now they are back! I love the butcher department at our Laraway rd store and now I can get quality meat my family is usedto delivered! www.shopberkots.com 

Positive 
  • Local store/smaller too. Small store less social activity ( I’m pleased with what I’ve read on the precautions and measures they are taking) 

  • Great products available that I’m used to getting for my family.

Negative 
  • They are booked up! Do not expect to get a delivery spot next day at this time so plan ahead. The delivery was disabled on their site temporarily but thankfully it has returned and I’m happy to wait a few days to get it.

  • Product selection. Much like in store, Berkots is amazing for some thing and not others. This may not be your one stop shop, but if local butcher or bakery needs are on your list it will help.

  • Meat order online is confusing. You must select the amount of pounds of a given product and then in notes under that product give instructions on packaging ie: 6 lbs of ground beef @ 3 x 2 lb packs. 

Oberweis delivers and always has! 
Great weekly delivery set up from your friendly milk man! 
Set up home delivery at www.oberweis.com 

Positives
  • Products offered ( yes this is a + and -) Milk for sure, and Ice cream, because seriously we are quarantined! But they have meats (I recommend the boneless chicken breasts), cheeses, deli, yogurt, eggs, butter, bread, meals.....

  • Dependable! This company has employees coming in deliver trucks in uniform at a specific window. You sign up for a weekly delivery slot so you are on the schedule too. 

Negatives:
  • The variety of products available. Like Berkots this is likely not your one stop shop. However, I was pleased to find more than just milk! 

  • The delivery window, although weekly regular, has a wide window of delivery day of. 

So these are my online grocery staples. Of course there are enough options to make your head spin out there. 

Try meal delivery like hello fresh or blue apron; try meats from Omaha steaks or local Midwest meat delivery; I’m thinking about tryin imperfect food delivery for produce too, perhaps amazon.com or Walmart might work ?! 

But with all the change or lack there of going on, I’m trying not to uproot my family’s diet too much. I’m grateful to the stores and their employees for keeping things going, delivery men and women and these service deliveries for an option to reduce my family’s chances of social contact at this scary time. 

I leave a cooler and a Rubbermaid on my front porch for deliveries and have a borderline crazy person system to wipe down items before they come in the house. Always washing my hands and wiping packaging and door knobs galore! If possible I try to leave non perishable items in a safe place for a few days/quarantine of their own. We always wash hands preparing meals and before eating too. 

I never thought I’d miss running errands, grocery shopping, letting my daughter push her own tiny cart next to mine in the store. I took the everyday adventure of shopping for granted, but I hope by shopping online and reducing the number of people in stores we can get closer to getting it back . 

I hope this helps you figure out the sea of grocery options and serves to help you explore this adventure with a map of sorts. 

My best advice is to take hold and take charge of suppling your family. See it as a challenge you as a no are ready to conquer. Be brave and don’t forget to get some ice cream and wine too! 

Subscribe to my blog for Free to receive email updates on mom motivation, kids activities and home life advice! We are on an adventure, let’s do it together! 

Comments

Popular Posts