A moment of bravery....

This is suddenly a very scary time. With every glance I see a new message of events, museums, zoos, libraries closed. My social media feed is littered with toilet paper frantic memes, cautious care instructions and reminders to wash your hands, and hopefully recognition for those who are caring for the sick. COVIR-19 is a real thing and as a mom it scares the shit out of me. Never in my lifetime have I been responsible for someone I care so entirely for during something so underestimated or unknown and harmful. That said I am never one to hide in fear. Careful, educated and prepared I march on. As a mom you do so often with a happy/Brave face.

I continued to plow forward planning my son’s 8th birthday party - a Mario Kart themed Bounce Zone Party! I’ve packed decorations, treats and even picked up a huge 20 inch round cake today! Balloons are inflated, coordinating themed outfits are ready to wear, and then it hit.... all schools closed for the next 3weeks! I panicked and felt a nervous pit in my stomach. I got overwhelmed as my husband and I consulted with our moms and then talked in the hall.

The last thing I wanted to do was cancel my son’s birthday party tomorrow. But then I decided to talk to him.

I explained there’s a bad virus going around the country and although we are safe it is very contagious and spreads easily. I told him the best way for us to be safe and our friends and family is to stay home. I told him his principal and her boss with the govenor decided to cancel school for a few weeks to help people do that. And to stay home and safe means not having a party tomorrow.

 He was upset but not nearly as bad as I expected. He was worried about getting sick and others getting sick. I assured him staying home helps that not happen. He was ok. He was brave. My soon to be 8 year old showed compassion for others and chose to give up his bouncing birthday party and I am proud of him.

Comments

Popular Posts