Coffee - time

I marvel at how having something as simple as coffee has evolved over my life. It’s crazy to me the importance I’ve given it, yet the mundane routine I embrace it into, and what it says about me. Let me elaborate .... In my 20’s I rarely drank coffee, in fact as a single girl I would indulge in a cafe mocha now and then. Later on as a married lady I would get a Starbucks on the way to work on early start days or a Friday when I wanted to. And yes, a cafe mocha or tuxedo mocha or extra special egg nog latte were my go tos! But on a lazy Saturday morning I might nurse a cup of coffee brewed at home as I watched DIY home renovation shows in my pjs till 11am. Pregnant with my first child I had no problem abandoning caffeine. And as a new mom I quickly began to relish that warm mug every morning as a reward for surviving the night and seeing the sun break in. I can remember my favorite large polka dot new mom mug in one hand and baby in other as I finally relaxed with the blanket of a new day and chance to try again began. Perhaps that’s when my love affair as you could see it, really began with coffee. I can also remember as a new first time mom genuinely missing those Starbucks mochas lattes and the freedom to just grab a coffee when I wanted for fun.
With my second child the giving up coffee fell a little harder during pregnancy,as I researched alternatives and loop holes and minimum amounts I could drink...needless to say I did not go cold turkey. But that same warm mug greeted me as I held my baby girl and snuggled my not so big son each morning. As a reward for surviving the night still, but more of a fuel to survive the day. And with two kids and much more experience and bravery we would often venture to a early Starbucks drive thru for a chance to get out of the house treat and began to add cake pops for the kids to my latte order. Now it’s just a natural part of my day,coffee that is. My mug gets filled a few times each morning and if I’m lucky I get to drink it warm before someone needs help getting dressed, or firing up their show on tv. Now hold my mug a a little less and keep moving as my kids are already moving too. Oh and Starbucks are in a lot more places now too. We get a treat on the way to the post office, after mom n me class,even in the grocery store. I guess coffee and me have come a long way. I think that’s a beautiful irony that what once was such a perfectly special treat to a young me, now is again a treat adventure for me and my kids!

Comments

Popular Posts