After you’re asleep A mom’s tale

Did you ever wonder if your kids/family wonder how all that extra stuff happens? For me, it’s after you’re asleep... 

After your day ends and I tuck you in, rock you and sing you asleep, I take a breath, reset, and continue on. I am mom. 

A new part of my day begins: the wrap up the house, pick up the toys, finish whatever it was I had on my list, fold those baskets of laundry, check my email, write this article, get all the things ready for your day tomorrow... kind of part of my day that happens every night. 

If I really think about it I’m like one of those elves that help the cobbler in “The shoemaker and the elves” but it’s just me mom. 

I don’t really mind, in fact it’s almost easier to just go on my time and watch your snoozing faces on the monitors as I hurry about. I take time to write those silly notes for your lunch, I complete the extra details of that room party game you dreamed up, and yes, your favorite shirt will be ready and waiting for you to wear in the morning. 
I suppose I’m not really taking this time for me, it’s yours too, but I do it so that when you are awake I’m there. I’m there to play, cook dinner, give baths, get snuggles, read books and draw together.

Truth is, I don’t want to be folding laundry and packing lunches while you watch tv, I want to be with you! After you’re asleep I can think a little clearer and get all that stuff done. 

It’s ok, I’m mom, I signed up for this shift long ago. It’s your little bodies that have trained me to go without a little sleep after all.... And I’ll get it all done and finally get in bed just in time for you to stir awake and need a hug and that’ll be the next part of my night because I am mom. 

Comments

Popular Posts