No time to go hunt? Find yourself a digital tribe

Tribe, I like that word. It conjures up feelings like: fierce, determined, united, supported... all the things a mom is and needs. 

My hairdresser always tells me I need to find some mom friends, aka women with kids my age to hang out with while the kids play or something. My hairdresser is great at her job but she ain’t a mom. Nothing against the idea, but I’ve never been someone who has a lot of friends. It doesn’t bother me. I’m a good friend when I’m in it, but it’s never been something I crave.  Honestly with all my attention divided and tired, I’m not sure I’d be as good of a friend as I used to be. 

That said it can be awfully lonely day to day with the little people. Years can pass without adult conversation. And although that doesn’t speak for the great past bedtime exchanges of bills, schedules, to do lists and if you’re lucky a few minutes of real talk with your husband... mom stuff isn’t a high priority on that list. 

So, for me what I discovered is today there are tons of ways to connect and find a tribe, a lifeline, an outlet online.

You got Facebook? Find a group! There are mom groups willing to share issues and accept help - you can share your wisdom or follow along and discover that there are tons of moms out there who feel like you! 
They wonder why their kid isn’t pooping or pooping too much; they curse that mom guilt for working or for not; they’re worried about money; they’re funny and sarcastic; they wonder why paw patrol’s mayor has a chicken in her purse!  
My current favorite FB group
The Best Mom Life

On Twitter? Follow a few strong women, moms too! Commiserate with a few sarcastic antidotes; get empowered and inspired to try something new.

My nightstand books, baby
monitor  - all the essentials 
Brain racing after the family is finally asleep? Try a chapter or two. Yep, put down your phone and read a book. Try someone that you like or want to know. See where they were and how far they’ve come. Get inspired and push a little outside your mom comfort zone.


It’s not the same as a real army of gal pals yet, but until I have time or less guilt leaving the kids, I found myself a digital tribe and it’s fits just fine. 

Comments

Popular Posts